Donna was born and raised in the relatively small steel making community of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada. It was still during an age where it was commonly understood that family matters were exactly that; a family matter. If discussed at all, these matters were private and only spoken of within the confines of the home.
Like many families of that generation, and those preceding it, secrets were kept; fear was instilled to secure anonymity; and, if all went as desired, forgotten about.
Silence and secrets broke many a sole in its path, but not Donna’s. Always one to question the practicality of an established process or the order of things, Donna was the family member who fearlessly bucked the system throughout her adolescence, puberty and well into her adult years, much to the chagrin of those in the family trying to live out their lives in obscurity.
Maturity has yet to change her character or to soften her demeanor dramatically, but it has allowed for her to be schooled in incredibly valuable life lessons.
In her writings she brings out the skeletons that have plagued her life and the lives of the generations before hers; she dances with them and gives them voice before laying them to rest once more.
She tells it as she lived it and unashamedly describes the affect that addiction and mental illness has had on her and on those she’s loved and those she has lost to both illnesses.
She invites you to join her as she chronicles her journey to understanding and co-existing with addiction and mental illness.
Donna May's Calendar
- What Donna Has To Say
- Video - RESILIENCY, Donna explains how and why she does it
- OTTAWA - SAFE CONSUMPTION SITES
- 2014 - Conversations around Addiciton
- Video - THE TRUTH ABOUT THE WAR ON DRUGS
- Video - STIGMA
- Video - DISRUPTING THE DANCE (Lifting the Veil on America's Opioid Addiction)
- Video - THE ADDICT'S MOM, Sharing without Shame
- Video - BREAKING BAD, what it really tells us
- Video - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
- NALOXONE - Save a Life
- SUBOXONE - The truth about it
- ADDICTION & MENTAL HEALTH
- MY WORK
- CONTACT INFO
©Jac's voice - Donna D May 2013. All Rights Reserved.